Family Immigration

The attorneys at Lamb & Turner PLLC offer legal services for most areas of family immigration. Whether you’re seeking a remedy for new permanent residency status, looking to renew a Green Card, or you’re seeking an Adjustment of Status of removal of conditions on your green card, our team of experienced attorneys and legal professionals can help.

We treat our clients as partners – we work together to develop the optimal legal strategy to secure a favorable resolution to your immigration matters. Learn More


If you fear returning to your home country due to harm that you’ve experienced or you are afraid you will experience, then Asylum may be an available immigration remedy. There are detailed eligibility requirements that you may need to meet, but if you believe you’ve been targeted due to your race, nationality, religion, political beliefs, or social group status – you may qualify to apply for Asylum in the US. Learn More

Additional Services

Immigration Attorney for Employment-Based Visas


This visa allows companies to bring in workers with specialized knowledge for a temporary period of time (maximum 6 years). Our work visa lawyers can help guide you through the application process.

E-1 Visas, E-2 Visas

Investors and treaty traders can use these visas to enter the U.S. to engage in trade and invest in businesses. The immigration attorneys at Lamb & Turner PLLC will assist you in obtaining these visas.


These short-term work visas are available to religious workers entering the U.S. for religious functions. Lamb & Turner’s legal team will help you with R-Visas.

L Visas

L visas allow executives, managers, and professional employees with specialized knowledge to transfer to related foreign entities in the U.S. Our legal team can help walk you through the employment immigration petition process for L Visas.

J Visas

The J non-immigrant visa allows researchers, students, scholars, professors, and exchange visitors to enter the U.S. to pursue their fields of study. Lamb & Turner PLLC will help you with all aspects of obtaining J non-immigrant visas.

O Visas, P Visas

Entertainers, athletes, artists, and other individuals with extraordinary talent can apply for these visas to enter the country. If you need to obtain an O or P Visa, the legal team at Lamb & Turner PLLC can direct you in all aspects of the process.

TN/TD Visas

Under NAFTA, professionals from Canada and Mexico can apply for TN/TD visas to work in the U.S. One of the employment-based immigration attorneys at Lamb & Turner PLLC can help guide you through the application process.

U&T Visa Immigration Lawyers

Temporary nonimmigrant visas are available for victims of certain crimes, including T visas for victims of human trafficking; and, U visas for victims of violent crimes (like domestic violence, involuntary servitude, kidnapping, false imprisonment, and assault, among others). These applications require substantial amounts of documentary evidence. Our office can help guide you through the proper procedures to ensure your application is processed properly by local officials before it is sent to USCIS.

These visa categories allow for a potential stay of three years and the possibility to apply for lawful permanent residence. To do so, you must cooperate in any criminal prosecution.

Are you a victim of human trafficking? – T Nonimmigrant (T Visa)

Trafficking victims can remain in the United States as long as they meet T visa requirements and assist law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of those responsible for the crime. When the victim receives the T visa, he or she can apply for a green card after three years.

Are you a victim of criminal activity? – U Nonimmigrant (U Visa)

The U Visa has been coined as an effective resource for law enforcement, particularly for undocumented immigrants who are at a higher risk of abuse, exploitation, and victimization because of their status and fear of deportation if they report a crime.

This status provides protection and immigration status to victims of crimes who have suffered substantial physical or emotional abuse because of that crime. As long as the individual assists law enforcement with the investigation, up to and including prosecution, they are allowed to remain in the United States. A U Visa immigration lawyer at Lamb & Turner PPLC can help guide you through the application process.

Are you a victim of domestic violence? – Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

Abused children (unmarried and under 21 years old), parents, or spouses of U.S. citizens may be eligible for green cards based on the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) provisions in the Immigration and Nationality Act. Additionally, abused children (unmarried and under the age of 21) and spouses of green card holders may also apply for protection under the VAWA provisions. In either case, once the VAWA petition has been approved, the abused applicant is eligible to apply for a green card. The most important aspect of the VAWA program is that it allows the abused family members to self-petition for an immigrant visa without the knowledge of the abuser.

U.S. Citizenship & Naturalization Attorney

Naturalization N-400

The process of applying for U.S. citizenship is referred to as Naturalization. If you are interested in becoming a U.S. citizen, you must fulfill one of the following circumstances in order to apply:

  • You have maintained your U.S. permanent residency and have lived in the United States for at least five years;
  • You are the spouse of a U.S. citizen and have lived in the country as a permanent resident for at least three years; or
  • You are a permanent resident, have served in the United States military, and have been in the United States for three years.

If you qualify, you must prove that you have sufficient knowledge of U.S. history and government and can speak, read, and write English.

Schedule a consultation with one of our immigration and naturalization lawyers to see how we can guide you through the Naturalization process. Contact us today!

N-600: Application for Certificate of Citizenship

If a foreign national is born outside of the United States to US citizens, it might be possible for him or her to acquire US citizenship through his or her parents or grandparents. Foreign nationals born abroad to U.S. citizen parents can automatically acquire U.S. citizenship, but he or she will need to get some paperwork to prove this. Applying for a Certificate of Citizenship allows an individual to claim U.S. citizenship either by action of law while in the U.S. or by having been born outside of the United States to U.S. citizen parent(s).

If you think you might be able to apply for U.S. citizenship through your parents, contact our office today! One of our naturalization attorneys in Houston can evaluate your family history to see what benefits you might be entitled to.

N-336: Request a Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings

If citizenship application is denied by a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) examiner, you may ask for a hearing before a second immigration officer. This new immigration officer will review your citizenship application and conduct another examination, which may include a new test of your English ability and a new civics test. The new immigration officer may affirm the original decision to deny your application, or redetermine the original decision, in whole or in part.

If you think your naturalization application was improperly denied and you would like to speak to an immigration attorney about filing an N-336 immigration appeal, please contact our office today.

Deportation & Removal Defense

Are you in danger of being deported?

Did you receive a notice to appear before an immigration judge?

If you are facing removal or deportation proceedings, or if you have previously received an order of removal, you need an attorney with extensive experience in the immigration courts to protect your rights. The attorneys at Lamb & Turner, PLLC aggressively fight removal and deportation cases before immigration courts all over the country, as well as appeals before the Board of Immigration Appeals.

The deportation process is complex and unforgiving, but our attorneys can help you prove that your potential removal from the country is not warranted. There are many forms of relief from removal, but when time is limited, you can trust the attorneys at Lamb & Turner, PLLC to guide you and your family through this difficult process.

Types of Relief from Removal

Learning how to apply for cancellation of removal or cancellation of deportation depending on your unique circumstances can help you begin the process on the right foot.

Cancellation of Removal for Permanent Residents and Nonpermanent Residents

Lawful permanent residents (green card holders), unlike citizens, can be removed from the United States if they violate immigration laws or are found guilty of certain criminal offenses. Permanent residents who find themselves in immigration court and who meet the following requirements can apply for cancellation of removal. If the immigration judge grants their application, the alien is allowed to stay in the country as a green card holder.

Who is Eligible for Cancellation of Removal?

To apply for cancellation of removal for certain lawful permanent residents, the applicant must:

  • Be a green card holder for at least five years;
  • Have maintained continuous physical presence in the United States for at least seven years;
  • NOT have certain crimes on their criminal record, particularly those involving murder, trafficking of controlled substances, or crimes of violence; and
  • Be deserving of a favorable decision on the part of the immigration judge.

 Cancellation of Removal for Certain Nonpermanent Residents

Even if you are not a permanent resident, you may still be able to apply for Cancellation of Removal for Certain Nonpermanent Residents. To be eligible for this relief, you must:

  • Have been physically present in the United States for at least ten years;
  • Have maintained good moral character for ten years;
  • NOT have certain crimes on your criminal record, particularly those involving controlled substances; and
  • Establish that removal or deportation would cause exceptional and extremely unusual hardship to your US citizen or Permanent Resident spouse, parent or child.

Cancellation of Removal Under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

To be eligible for relief under this provision of Cancellation of Removal, an applicant for VAWA cancellation must show:

  • That he or she has been “battered or subjected to extreme cruelty” by a spouse or parent who is or was a US citizen or Permanent Resident, or the applicant is a parent of a child who is the child of a US citizen or Permanent Resident and the child has been “battered or subjected to extreme cruelty” by the US citizen or Permanent Resident;
  • Have been physically present in the United States for at least three years before filing the application;
  • Have maintained good moral character during those three years.

These lists are only the beginning of what the immigration courts consider when it comes to Cancellation of Removal. If you find yourself in a situation where you must face an immigration judge, call our office today so we can help you work through your case!

Voluntary Departure

Sometimes, unfortunately, there is no relief in removal proceedings that will allow a person to stay in the United States.  Whether it’s because of lack of ties to the U.S., lack of hardship to U.S. citizen relatives, criminal history, or other factors, an alien may not be eligible under any provision of the Immigration and Nationality Act to remain in the United States.  Our office will evaluate your case from every angle, but, if there is no way for the applicant to remain here, voluntary departure may be their last option, but it also has some very beneficial consequences.

What is voluntary departure?

Voluntary Departure is a form of relief that allows a person to leave on his or her own rather than under a removal (deportation) order. A grant of voluntary departure may not result in a ten (10) year bar from reentering the United States as an order of deportation would. A grant of voluntary departure allows the alien the opportunity to reapply for admission to the United States at a sooner time whether it be via an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa.

Applying for AOS in Court

As an undocumented foreign national in removal proceedings, you may be eligible to file for an adjustment of status to obtain a green card. Even though this adjustment application is before the Immigration Court, the process is similar to adjustment of status before USCIS in that you must meet specific requirements to be eligible and you must have a petition filed and pending or previously approved by USCIS.

It is important to note that an immigration judge may not evaluate an adjustment of status application in the same way that USCIS would evaluate the application. If the applicant is applying for Adjustment of Status while in removal proceedings, the foreign national may need to meet a higher standard of proof concerning the original immigrant petition. For example, if the applicant is seeking a green card based on marriage to a U.S. citizen, the applicant will need to provide clear and convincing evidence that the marriage is valid, particularly if the marriage happened after the foreign national was placed into removal proceedings.

DACA Immigration Lawyers

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

On June 15, 2012, the U.S. Government announced that certain people who came to the United States as children and meet several key requirements may apply for deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal, and would then be eligible for a work permit. With a work permit, an immigrant can apply for a social security number as well as a state ID or driver’s license. However, DACA is not a permanent reprieve and it is not currently a pathway to residency or citizenship.

If you need more information, visit the USCIS DACA FAQs page.


On December 4, 2020, Judge Garaufis of the Eastern District of New York ordered the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to take certain actions regarding new DACA applications. As a result, effective December 7, 2020, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is once again:

Accepting first-time requests for consideration of deferred action under Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) based on the terms of the DACA policy in effect prior to September 5, 2017, and in accordance with the Court’s December 4, 2020, order;

Accepting DACA renewal requests based on the terms of the DACA policy in effect prior to September 5, 2017, and in accordance with the Court’s December 4, 2020, order;

Accepting applications for advance parole documents based on the terms of the DACA policy prior to September 5, 2017, and in accordance with the Court’s December 4, 2020, order;

Extending one-year grants of deferred action under DACA to two years; and

Extending one-year employment authorization documents under DACA to two years.

USCIS will take appropriate steps to provide evidence of the one-year extensions of deferred action and employment authorization documents under DACA to individuals who were issued documentation on or after July 28, 2020.

Can I travel if I am granted Deferred Action?

In accordance with Judge Garaufis’ order, USCIS will now begin accepting and processing requests for Advance Parole based on the DACA policy in effect prior to September 5, 2017. It is important to note that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will retain the authority it has always had and exercised in determining the admissibility of any person trying to enter the United States at the border or at a port of entry. Further, USCIS will retain the authority to revoke or terminate an advance parole document at any time.