Naturalization N-400

The process of applying for U.S. citizenship is referred to as Naturalization. If you are interested in becoming a U.S. citizen, you must fulfill one of the following circumstances in order to apply:

  • You have maintained your U.S. permanent residency and have lived in the United States for at least five years;
  • You are the spouse of a U.S. citizen and have lived in the country as a permanent resident for at least three years; or
  • You are a permanent resident, have served in the United States military, and have been in the United States for three years.

If you qualify, you must prove that you have sufficient knowledge of U.S. history and government and can speak, read, and write English.

Schedule a consultation with one of our immigration and naturalization lawyers to see how we can guide you through the Naturalization process. Contact us today!

N-600: Application for Certificate of Citizenship

If a foreign national is born outside of the United States to US citizens, it might be possible for him or her to acquire US citizenship through his or her parents or grandparents. Foreign nationals born abroad to U.S. citizen parents can automatically acquire U.S. citizenship, but he or she will need to get some paperwork to prove this. Applying for a Certificate of Citizenship allows an individual to claim U.S. citizenship either by action of law while in the U.S. or by having been born outside of the United States to U.S. citizen parent(s).

If you think you might be able to apply for U.S. citizenship through your parents, contact our office today! One of our naturalization attorneys in Houston can evaluate your family history to see what benefits you might be entitled to.

N-336: Request a Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings

If citizenship application is denied by a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) examiner, you may ask for a hearing before a second immigration officer. This new immigration officer will review your citizenship application and conduct another examination, which may include a new test of your English ability and a new civics test. The new immigration officer may affirm the original decision to deny your application, or redetermine the original decision, in whole or in part.

If you think your naturalization application was improperly denied and you would like to speak to an immigration attorney about filing an N-336 immigration appeal, please contact our office today.